Sunday 4 March 2012

The One About the Hairdressers . . .

One of my Christmas pressies from M was a voucher to go and get my hair done in one of the local salons. Normally I would get my hair done in the salon close to my mum's where I've been since I was about 18, but which is a good 45minutes drive away from here.  M's thinking was that once I'd had the baby I would want to get my hair done, but not want to leave baby for long, so this was the perfect present really.  I'd not been to the salon before but I booked my appointment on for this morning, before the voucher could run out.

I got there to find it was run by just one lady, and my appointment was after she had spray tanned the girl before me.  While I waited for my turn, I heard this strange noise that sounded like a bird, but just thought it was the salon owners mobile phone with a strange text alert sound.  But then I heard other noises that could only be coming from an animal that could copy sounds they'd heard off the tv, or from people.

The salon seemed to be split into three areas, with the first area being where you have your hair cut, and where you wait, the second room you go through to is where you have your hair cut, and the last room looked like it was a private area, as there were curtains half blocking the view.  I imagined the bird sounds were coming from the very back room.

Imagine my surprise to find that when I was taken through to have my hair washed that there was a parrot in the second room!  And not only that, it wasn't in a cage, it was free to do what it wanted.  The hairdresser said to me when I went in that 'it shouldn't fly about' and luckily it didn't.  But it did go to the toilet, and all I could think of was what if it had been flying about whilst it did that and it landed in my hair! Needless to say I will not be going back there again!

It was a parrot very similar to this one!
I'm not so sure about the cut either, and she'd cut some of the layers quite short before I could stop her.  So I'm having to clip bits back, and I'm hoping once I've washed it myself that I'll feel a bit better about it.

This is my new hair do, and I couldn't resist having Alissia in the photo too!
This story was brought to you as part of Sian's Storytelling Sunday, so make sure you pop over to her blog to read all the other fab stories this month!

ETA: I've since washed my hair and dried it how I normally would, and like it far better now, so all's well again :)

19 comments:

Alison said...

It's always a bit scary going to new Hairdressers anyway, I think...but that parrot would have been enough for me to leave immediately! The hairdo looks very nice, though I must admit to being more interested in your beautiful daughter-sorry!;)
Alison xx

Jimjams said...

Aww shame that you didn't come out of there feeling like a million dollars - it was a really thoughtful present!

Miriam said...

Oh I couldn't have stayed there with a bird flying about either, I am terrified of them anywhere else but the sky!
what a thoughtful present though and your daughter is beautiful x

Amanda said...

I don't think I would like a parrot flying around either so I really don't blame you for not wanting to go back.

Lynn said...

I have such a fear of flying birds so I may have run out mid cut. Pity it didn't work out.

Sian said...

I am absolutely with Lynn on this one - I think you were very brave to stay becasue I would have run a mile! A great illustration of how something simple can turn into a bit of an adventure and a great little story. Love that!

Lou said...

Oh! I'm not sure what i would have done. Glad to hear you feel better about your hair now.

Jane said...

poor you Gem, although you might have found a good conditioner!!

furrypig said...

I drive a fair way to the hairdressers definitely worth it when you find a good one, not to mention a parrot free one!

scrappyjacky said...

I couldn't have stayed with the parrot....birds are not my favourite thing!!!
It was such a thoughtful gift though....hope you can find another [nicer] hairdresser close by.

Ruth said...

A lovely thoughtful gift from your husband, even if it wan't quite the experience you were hoping for.

Sabrina DS said...

Going to the hairdresser can get freaky. Last time I went, I wanted to try the small salon next to my place. NEVER AGAIN!!!! When I arrived, the hairdresser wasn't there, I was received by her colleague. When she entered the room, I nearly freaked out, she looked like she was still wearing a Halloween wig (she kinda looked like Amy Winehouse hellish twin sister). I nearly ran out. I should have...

Irene said...

What a surprise for you. Couldn't imagine a parrot at the hairdressers. Probably would have freaked me out too. Love the photograph of you and your baby, gorgeous!

Sue aka Greyhound Lover said...

Thoughtful prezzie Gem, glad it turned out okay in the end.

Jo said...

I'm glad the parrot didn't come flying out at you and I'm pleased you're now happy with your new haircut

Linda said...

eeeewww a bird flying loose!!! Don't think I'd like that either. Glad you liked your haircut in the end:)

Linda said...

eeeewww a bird flying loose!!! Don't think I'd like that either. Glad you liked your haircut in the end:)

Amy said...

I am glad all is well now! And hey, my kids are 8 and 5 .. there is no way I would have been able to do what I did the other day with a five week old! Enjoy your precious baby time, my baby started school this year and it is yet again another big change!

Unknown said...

One of the worst things is trying out a new hairdresser. It always takes so long to find one that suits you. Glad the bird stayed put!