Monday 4 April 2011

The One About Mothers Day....

So I had all day yesterday set aside to spend with my mum but no idea what we were going to be doing apart from 'visiting' (this is something we do regularly when the weather is good, pick a National Trust property and visit the house and gardens).  Anyway I arrived at Mum's and she said 'Gemma I have a plan!' (She and my family are really the only ones that call me Gemma now, all my close friends have shortened it - but thats just an aside!)

So The Plan.... to have a wander round John Lewis, spending vouchers wherever possible, and then a visit to the Style Quarry Mill if the weather held out.  So we spent a lovely hour meandering through the department store (its on its own retail park next to a Sainsbury's which is why we were only going there!) Mum bought a gorgeous purple leather jewellery box, and I got some little butterfly embellishments (I'm into butterflies on my LO's at the moment, but you'll see that in a mo!).  After a quick picnic lunch in the car, we decided to chance the weather and visit the mill and gardens.  The mill itself was really well laid out, it was all set up for school visits so there were a lot of fact sheets all around, and even national trust staff in various parts of the mill giving presentations, and showing how the old equipment worked.  Mum found it particularly interesting because she's into patchwork, and making quilts (thats where I get my creative streak from) and it explained how cotton is made into fabric.  So we had a really good time, and learnt something too.




The gardens were a little disappointing, really only because it's the wrong time of year to be expecting much in terms of colour from a garden, even I know that from doing Mum.s garden for several years when I lived there, but still, you pay to vist a garden, you want to see something interesting!  Anyway there was a magnolia tree that was about to flower, a nearly open rhododendron, and lots of daffs!  I do think though that the garden will look fab in a couple of months time though when the weather ets a bit warmer :)

Anyway, I also promised some scrapping, so here we go....

First up is the LO about the flowers my OH got me this week.



Secondly is a mini book that I made (started two summers ago, and just never quite completed) so I decided to finish it off.  Pictures from various camping trips in Wales in the summer of 2009.








Tomorrow I'll tell you about my new purchase today (its very exciting!)

8 comments:

Alison said...

Love your LO and the mini-book looks fab! I miss places like John Lewis and M&S..your post made me very jealous!
Alison xx

Michelle S said...

Ur mini book's so cute!

furrypig said...

cute mini book I would love to try making one sometime thanks for haring xxx

scrappyjacky said...

Love the little mini book.

Amy said...

All your layouts and the mini book are fabulous!!! I want to go to Whales....plane flights from the US to Europe are unreal this year....and the exchange rate for us is crazy! So...no European vaca this year...sigh.

Sian said...

Your layout and minibook are very pretty - I wish I had that much success with minibooks, I can never get them to look the way I want them!

That Mill looks like the one that was on "The Boat That Guy Built" on tv last week - it was really interesting.

Julie Ann Rachelle Interior Design said...

Very pretty projects!!! xoxo

Lisa Echerd said...

Sounds like you had a lovely day with your Mom. Love your mini book.