Saturday 14 May 2011

The One About the Race for Life...

This year Mum and I are doing the Race for Life at Arley Hall in July.  We did it last year, at Tatton Park, mainly as a way to get involved in something that makes a difference, and to spend some quality time together.  This year it means so much more to us, because the money we raise will actually go towards helping someone we know, someone close to us, my sister's new husband.



These last couple of months have been tough, on T, on my sister, and on everyone close to them.  There have been some low points, where T's had a headache that turned out to be a blood clot in his brain that was caused by a side effect of the chemotherapy.  Theres been the car accident that they had whilst he was out of hospital, caused by some silly woman not looking where she was going (luckily nothing but the car was damaged).  The hardest thing is that we can't really do much to help.  All I can do is be there when my sister needs to talk.  I'm quite good at distracting her with every day mundane things to help keep her mind off things, even if its only for an hour.

The doctors at Christie's have been really good (not that I've been, my sister has asked that our family don't go to visit at the hospital as it would cause her to crumble), but they're doing their best to give T the treatment that he needs and to keep him pain free from the headaches.  The good news is he came home today after his last week of intensive treatment.  The other good news is that his blood markers are way down (for a healthy male they should be less than 5, when he went into hospital, his was more than 200,000), less than 5 now.  The next step is surgery, and scans to see whether the spread has shrunk, if not more surgery.

So this year when we do the Race for Life, it will be for T, and for my sister.  I have set up a sponsorship page, if anyone feels able to spare a few pennies for this really good cause, we would all really appreciate it xx

4 comments:

Sian said...

I'm wishing you all the best with your race and your fundraising x

Lynn said...

Well done for getting involved. My mum is taking part as well - she had breast cancer 10 years ago and made a full recovery - so it is a cause close to my heart too. It is good to do something postive to support your sister and husband.

Alison said...

Glad to hear there is some good news about your BIL....hope it continues
Alison xx

WendyB said...

Good luck with the fundraising and fingers crossed that your BIL continues to improve.